The North Face carries the widest selection of outdoor gear. In addition to their well known outdoor clothing line, they also carry tents, sleeping bags, backpacks, and shoes. Arc'teryx is more expensive, but they are known for their outdoor clothing and innovative clothing features. They also carry a good selection of mountaineering products. Columbia only carries outdoor clothing. Their large selection of outdoor clothing covers all activities like fishing, hiking, golfing, hunting, and skiing.
Covered in this report
The North Face carries the most outdoor gear including tents, sleeping bags, and camping gear.
Their products carry a lifetime warranty and are fully warranted against defects in materials and craftsmanship, and their footwear has a 1-year limited warranty.
Best for: Shoppers looking for outdoor wear and outdoor gear especially trail running, hiking, and camping.
Arc’teryx carries the most outdoor gear for mountain hiking and mountain climbing.
Arc'teryx offers free express shipping on all orders and they also ship to Canada and many European countries.
Best for: Outdoor enthusiasts and especially those interested in hiking and mountain climbing.
Get Free Shipping And Free Returns On Arc'teryx At Nordstrom - [activate coupon]
Columbia has the largest selection of outdoor clothing for all types of outdoor activities.
They also carry big and tall sizes for men and plus sizes for women.
Best for: Customers that are looking for a wide variety of clothing for all types of outdoor activities.
Get Free Shipping And Free Returns On Columbia At Nordstrom - [activate coupon]
The North Face
The North Face was founded in 1966, when two hiking enthusiasts opened a small mountaineering retail store in the San Francisco area with a mantra of “Never stop exploring.” The company continued to grow and expand and by the early 1980s, they began adding extreme skiwear to their line of products.
Throughout the 1990s, the company expanded their line of outdoor wear to include their newly launched Tekware collection, designed to provide backpackers, hikers, trail runners, rock climbers, and outdoor enthusiasts with the ultimate function and fit. Today, The North Face has retail stores throughout the country in addition to their online store.
The North Face Outdoor Clothing and Outdoor Gear
The North Face sells all types of outdoor gear and clothing for men, women, and children. Whether you need clothing and shoes to get through the winter at home, or you are going hiking, camping, hunting, or any outdoor activities during any season and in any weather, The North Face carries the right products for you.
The North Face can be searched by gender, shoes, equipment, and their following collections:
- Designed For the Wild
- Flight Series Collection
- Set Up Camp
- Apex Flex GTX
- Progressor Collection
- Summit Series
- Backyard Project
They also have a great section called Find an Adventure that features great hiking areas for your location.
Customers can also shop by:
The North Face carries the following outdoor clothing for men, women, and kids:
Jackets & Vests
- Insulted and down
- Dresses & Skirts
In addition to their outdoor wear line of clothes and shoes, The North Face also carries a large selection of men’s, women’s and kid’s equipment for the outdoors including:
- Backpacks, laptop packs, and unisex packs.
- Technical packs for hiking, climbing, back country, and backpacking.
- Luggage and duffels, wheeled, and carryon.
- Tents for 1 person, 2 person tents, 3 person tents, and 4+ tents.
- Sleeping bags that vary in temperature going as low as 25 degrees below zero.
The North Face Prices
A few examples of their prices include:
- Women’s Resolve plus jacket costs $99.
- Women’s half dome hoodie - $45.
- Men’s The Narrows pants - $60.
- Men’s Hedgehog hiking shoes - $120.
- Stormbreak 2 tent for 2 people - $159.
The North Face Coupons
The North Face Features
The North Face offers the following customer perks:
- Their products carry a lifetime warranty and are fully warranted against defects in materials and craftsmanship.
- Their footwear has a 1-year limited warranty.
- Products purchased online can be returned online or at any of their The North Face retail stores within 60 days.
- Sizing charts.
- VIP rewards program
The North Face Shipping
The North Face offers free 3-day shipping and free returns. They ship to all 50 U.S. states including P.O. Boxes. They cannot ship outside of the U.S. or to U.S. territories or APO/FPO addresses.
The North Face Customer Ratings
The North Face is an accredited member of the San Francisco Bay Area Better Business Bureau with an A+ rating. The North Face has very good customer ratings on Bizrate.com. They are the winner of the Bizrate Circle of Excellence in 2016. A few of their customer ratings include:
- Overall satisfaction – 9.2 out of 10
- Would shop here again – 9.3 / 10
- Likelihood to recommend – 9.4 / 10
- Prices relative to online retailers – 8.2 / 10
- Customer support – 9 / 10
- Returns process – 8 / 10
The North Face Pros and Cons
- Pros: The North Face has everything a person needs for outdoor recreational clothing, plus cold weather clothing for home and away.
- Cons: There are really no negatives to The North Face.
Arc'teryx was founded in 1991 and has their headquarters in North Vancouver, BC and their manufacturing facility in Burnaby, BC. They manufacture and sell high performance outdoor equipment like outdoor apparel, jackets, climbing equipment and packs. In addition to their online store, they also have retail stores throughout the U.S and Canada.
Arc'teryx Outdoor Clothing and Outdoor Gear
Arc'teryx specializes in mountain climbing, but they also carry a good selection of outdoor clothing and products. Customers can shop for clothing and products through the following activity categories:
- Arc'teryx Essentials
- Alpinism and Climbing
- Hiking and Trekking
- Ski and Snowboard
- Running Systems
Customers can also look through their collections:
- What’s New
- Spring Lookbook
- Shell Finder
- Arc’ Favorites
- 24 Collection
Arc'teryx carries a good selection of outdoor clothing and products for men and women that include:
- Shell Jackets
- Insulated Jackets
- Mid Layer and Fleece
- Shirts & Tops
- Base Layer
- Dresses & Skirts
- Hats & Caps
- Toques & Beanies
- Product Care
- Avalanche Airbags
- Travel Bags
- Commuter Bags
- Duffle Bags and Totes
- Pack Accessories
- Rope Bags
- Chalk Bags
The following is a few examples of Arc'teryx outdoor clothing prices:
- Beta AR Men’s jacket, all around use, GORE-TEX Pro, alpine shell jacket for $575.
- Ether zip neck, lightweight, moisture wicking men’s hiking shirt - $85.
- Atom LT men’s lightweight, synthetically insulated midlayer hoodie - $259.
- Gamma MX women’s lightly insulated softshell alpine pants - $299.
- Norvan VT GTX men’s trail running shoe for vertical terrain - $200.
- The Arc'teryx website has a great section all about product care like the proper way to wash GOR-TEX products and how to wash and care for down clothing.
- They have helpful sizing charts
- The Arc'teryx warranty
- Free shipping and returns
Arc'teryx Shipping Costs
Arc'teryx offers free express shipping on all orders. They ship to the US, Canada, and many countries in Europe. Arc'teryx can also ship to PO Boxes and APO/FPO addresses. Customers cannot make an online purchase and have it shipped to their local Arc'teryx store.
Arc'teryx Return Policy
Items can be returned within 60 days in brand new condition, unworn and with all tags attached. They cannot accept returns of climbing harnesses or underwear. Shoes must be in the original box. Gift items must be returned by the original purchaser.
Arc'teryx Customer Ratings
Arc'teryx is rated A+ by the Better Business Bureau. There are numerous reviews online about their clothing and most if not all of their products are rated 4.5 or 5 stars. A few customer comments about the Arc'teryx Theta AR GORE-TEX men’s waterproof jacket include:
- “This is a fantastic all-around shell. I'm 6'5 and about 230 with an athletic build. I normally wear xxl in Arc'teryx and other brands, but the xl fits well. It is definitely sized for layers underneath. The Theta is the longest in the body and I really appreciate the extra length. This shell is amazing in that it is really light, but nearly weather-proof. Amazing wind and rain blocking, but also great breathability. This adds very little warmth, which is good and bad depending on what your use is. Extremely well-constructed and durable with good zippers and pockets. One thing to note - the pockets are designed for a harness or pack with waist strap so they're higher than on other jackets.”
- “Theta AR is similar to Beta SV, also use Gore-Tex® Pro which have the maximum waterproof. Longer hem that keep your butt dry when you sit is better than Beta SV. The jacket is excellent except the price.”
Arc'teryx Pros and Cons
- Pros: Arc'teryx outdoor clothing products are some of the highest rated in the industry for looks, functionality, and innovative products.
- Cons: The only complaint is that they are expensive, but as many customers put it, Arc'teryx is worth the extra cost.
In business since 1938, Columbia has been making outdoor clothing and outdoor gear for over 70 years. Based in Portland, Oregon, in the beautiful Pacific Northwest, they are familiar with what it takes to enjoy the outdoors in comfort and safety. Columbia also has retail stores throughout the United States.
Columbia Outdoor Clothing
Columbia has a large selection of outdoor clothing and foot wear for men, women, and children for all outdoor activities. Customers can search for outdoor clothing by their favorite outdoor activity from categories that include:
- Trail and Hiking
- Trail Running
- Ski and snow
You can also shop to be cool, protected, warm, and dry.
Columbia has a great selection of outdoor clothing that includes:
Jackets & Vests
- Rain Jackets
- Insulated & Down
- Shell & Softshell
- 3 in 1 Interchange
- Long Sleeve
- Short Sleeve
- Base Layer
Pants & Shorts
- Multi Sport
- Trail Running
Big & Tall – Plus Sizes
- Jackets & Vests
- Pants & Shorts
- Gloves & Mittens
- Backpacks & Totes
- Duffels & Rollers
- Coolers & Water Bottles
- Leather Wallets & Belts
Columbia shows a regular price and a discounted price for many of their outdoor clothing products. A few examples of Columbia pricing include:
- Men’s Platinum 860 Turbodown down jacket currently costs $89.98.
- Men’s Royce Peak pants - $45.
- Men’s Watertight II jacket - $59.99.
- Women’s Fast Trek II full zip fleece jacket - $37.50
- Men’s Newton Ridge Plus II waterproof hiking boot- $67.50
- Has a rewards program. Customers can get $25 when they spend $100 and earn an extra $5 just for participating.
- Their website includes helpful categories like Pros and Guides for the serious angler, Classic PFG, and Lifestyle.
Columbia Shipping and Returns
Columbia ships to the United States, U.S. territories, and U.S. armed forces APO/FPO addresses. Shipping costs will be calculated at checkout. Returns are accepted within 60 days of the purchase date. All returns must be in original and unworn condition with the tags still attached. Shoes must also be in the original box.
Columbia Customer Ratings
Columbia is rated a B by the Better Business Bureau. Their outdoor clothing has very good reviews with the main complaint being about slow shipping, which could be the carriers fault. A few comments include:
- “Columbia has some great cold weather jackets and sweaters. I just move to San Francisco and have been doing a lot of outdoors activities and am very glad I have my Columbia jackets.”
- “We all wear the rain jackets and I love the fun colors. My husband wears and replaces his Columbia sandals every few years (they last that long!!). They're not heavy and very comfortable. Sign up for the points system on the website to get coupons! And shop the outlet if you can-- great, unreal prices!”
Columbia Pros and Cons
- Pros: Columbia carries a large selection of outdoor clothing and shoes for men, women, and kids for all types of outdoor activities from golf to fishing.
- Cons: The most notable complaint from customers is no free return policy.