Buying outdoor apparel and outdoor recreation equipment can be confusing, because there are so many brands and styles to choose from. Each company has different sales and discounts, so it does pay to look at what each company does have currently in stock and on sale. There might be a winter closeout sale at one company and a spring sale at another company at the same time. Each of these companies has many brands, styles and discounts to choose from. Customer service, refund policies and shipping rates are also important items when making your decision.
Covered in this report
Moosejaw is the only place that sells yoga gear
Moosejaw the best and easiest return policy
Best for: Those who want outdoor recreation gear and yoga products all in one place.
Free Pair of Smartwool Socks on Order of Smartwool Apparel - [activate coupon]
Rock Creek has the most products for climbing.
Rock Creek has the most products in the backpacking category.
Best for: For people who are more hard core in their outdoor recreation
O2 Gear shop also sells all types of bikes and biking equipment.
O2 Gear has the most products available in stock for snowboarding.
Best for: People who want the most options in outdoor gear including bikes and biking.
Moosejaw is a sporting goods store that sells clothing and equipment for outdoor recreation in the following categories.
- Hiking and Camping
- Running and Yoga
- Ski and Snow
- Surf and Water
Moosejaw is a member of the Better Business Bureau with an A+ rating. They are also a Google Trusted Store and an Elite Stella Service member. Their headquarters are in Madison Heights, MI. They also have numerous retail outlets in Michigan, Colorado, Illinois, Missouri and Massachusetts.
Rock Creek sells outdoor clothing and equipment for outdoor recreation and fitness in the following categories.
- Shoes and Boots
- Packs and Bags
- Hiking and Camping
- Ski and Snow
Rock Creek is located in Chattanooga, Tennessee. They were named Online Retailer of the Year in 2009 by Outback Magazine. Rock Creek is a member of the Grassroots Outdoor Alliance and Stella Service Excellent member. They are a member of the Better Business Bureau with an A+ rating.
O2 Gear Shop
O2 Gear Shop, located in Aurora, Colorado, also sells name brand outdoor clothing and equipment for outdoor recreation in the following categories.
- Camping and Hiking
The following price comparisons are current at the time of this article for the exact items not including shipping. All three stores usually have big sales and closeout prices, so prices can vary widely.
Patagonia Men's Solar Wind Jacket
- At Moosejaw, the cost is $160.00. This price is good for all sizes.
- At Rock Creek, the cost is $199.20 for medium and large, XL and small sizes were not in stock.
- At O2 Gear Shop, the cost is $171.99 for all sizes.
The North Face Khumbu Jacket for Women
- At Moosejaw, the cost ranges between $57.99 and $89.95 depending on the size.
- At Rock Creek, the cost is $53.95 on sale. The only size they had in stock was small. Their normal price is $89.95.
- At O2 Gear Shop is $61.99 for all sizes.
Keen Women’s Targhee II Shoe
- At Moosejaw, the cost is $119.95 with three color options.
- At Rock Creek, the cost is $119.95 with two colors available.
- At O2 Gear Shop, the cost is $81.95 with only the grape color available.
Smith Men's Variant Brim Helmet
- At Moosejaw, the cost is $135.99 and is only available in the small size.
- At Rock Creek, the cost is $159.95 and is only available in the medium size.
- At O2 Gear Shop, the cost is $220.08 and is only available in the small size with two color options.
Marmot Limelight 2 Person Tent
- At Moosejaw, the cost is $218.95.
- At Rock Creek, the cost on sale is $175.20.
- At O2 Gear Shop, the cost is $140.16.
Price Match Guarantees
- Moosejaw has a price match guarantee as long as you find the exact same item on a web site based in the United States, excluding auctions sites like eBay. There are a few other rules and restrictions, so be sure to read their price match guarantee.
- Rock Creek makes no mention of a price match guarantee.
- O2 Gear Shop has a price match guarantee. If you find a lower price on the exact same item within 24 hours of placing your order, email O2 Gear Shop and provide the link where you found the lower price.
- Moosejaw has live chat 7 days a week.
- You can contact them toll free at 1-877-MOOSEJAW (1-877-666-7352) or for Canadian and international customers at 1- 248-246-4000.
- You can also email them using their email form.
- Rock Creek has live chat.
- You can call them toll free at 1-888-707-6708 or 1-423-266-8200, Monday through Saturday.
- And you can email them to email@example.com.
O2 Gear Shop
- You can call O2 Gear Shop toll free at 1-877-504 GEAR, Monday through Saturday.
- O2 Gear Shop also has live help chat.
- You can contact them using their contact us form.
Moosejaw offers free economy shipping in the United States for orders over $49. They have the following shipping rates for the US.
- Economy: For orders under $49, the rate is $5.95 (8-14 business days).
- Ground: $7.95 (3-5 business days).
- 3-Day costs $19.95.
- 2-Day costs $22.95.
- Overnight costs $30.95.
- US PO Box and APO/FPO addresses costs $7.95.
Canada and international shipping rates:
- Canadian Post is free for orders $199 and the cost for orders under $199 is $20.95, (4-10 business days).
- Canadian Express costs $39.95, (2-5 business days).
For international rates, you can click on international rates from their shipping page.
Rock Creek offers free ground shipping for orders over $49 in the continental United States. Their shipping rates for the continental US are:
- Ground shipping for orders under $49 cost $7.95, (2-6 business days).
- UPS 3-Day Air costs $12.95.
- UPS 2-Day Air costs $19.95.
- UPS Next Day Air costs $32.95.
The Shipping rates for Alaska, Hawaii and the US Territories are as follows:
- USPS Priority Mail costs $12.95, (2-6 business days).
- USPS Express Mail costs $24.95, (1-2 business days).
Canada and International rates:
- Canada: $15.95 delivery in 3-5 business days.
- For all other countries, the cost is $59.95 delivery in 5-7 business days.
O2 Gear Shop
O2 Gear Shop offers free ground shipping for the continental United States with orders over $49. Shipping rates are calculated at their checkout. O2 Gear Shop only ships to the US including Alaska and Hawaii. They do not ship internationally or APO/FPO addresses and PO Boxes.
Return and Refund Policies
If you are not satisfied with your purchase, you can return the item at any time as long as it is in sellable condition. Sellable condition means the item should be unworn (aside from trying it on), unwashed and devoid of any scuffs, stains or other damage. A proof of purchase is required for all returns.
If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase from Rock Creek, you can return the item within 30 days of the time you received the item. You do not need a Return Merchandise Authorization. Just return the item and they will refund your money. For questions, call them at 1-888-707-6708 or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
O2 Gear Shop
You can return items to O2 Gear Shop by logging into your account and viewing your list of items and then clicking on the item you want to return. Before returning an item, you will need a Return Merchandise Authorization number (RMA#). All returned items must be in original condition, all tags attached, include all manuals and items that came with the product and be in the original box. Return or exchanged items must be returned within 30 days of receiving the original order. Any returns not meeting the requirements are subject to a 15% restocking fee, or higher if warranted.
Resolving Problems and Issues
To resolve other problems and issues such as shipping errors, delivery problems or product problems, you will need to contact each company at their customer service contact numbers listed above in the Customer Service section.
Customer Ratings and Comments
Moosejaw is customer certified with Bizrate.com and has good customer ratings from the following rating websites.
- Google gives them an overall rating of 4.7 out of 5 based on 4,481 reviews.
- Bizrate.com rates them a 9.1/10 for overall satisfaction.
- PriceGrabber.com rates Moosejaw a 4.71/5.
- Epinions.com gives them an overall rating of 4.5/5.
A few customer comments from Bizrate.com include:
- “Cashmere items are very good quality. Size and color perfect.” – Online Shopper
- “Great store with terrific sales. Had a very positive experience and would definitely recommend it to ALL” – Lee Breezy
- “Love the website! Easy to navigate and fun to shop!” – Online Shopper
- “Fast shipping and an easy, straightforward return process. Moosejaw processed my return more quickly than I can remember any other company doing. Very impressed - will definitely order from them again.” – Chanomee
- “Great products at a good price.... Delivery was on time and all aspects met my expectations. Highly recommend these folks...I've been away from the sport for a while and the instruction material was nice...You guys rock...!” - Shep
Rock Creek is customer certified with Bizrate.com and has good ratings and for the most part good customer comments. Rock Creek has the following customer ratings from Bizrate.com.
- An overall customer satisfaction rating of 8.7 out of 10.
- A rating of 8.9/10 for would a customer shop there again.
- The likelihood to recommend rating was 9/10.
- Their customer support rating is 9.1/10.
A few customer comments from Bizrate.com include.
- “I had such a hard time looking online for a specific north face jacket for my daughter for christmas so i was definitely excited when google brought me to your website and you had the item, color and size i needed in stock. I like that you had the 800 # as well for me to contact an associate befor submitting my order to confirm the order was available to ship. I will definitely be visiting this site again for future purchasing. This was a pleasant online shopping experience. Very nice to offer the free 2 shipping upgrade as well during the holiday season!!”
- “Rock/Creek had a great selection and delivered my order sooner than I anticipated.”
- “I ordered 2 jackets which were in stock, according to the online info. Several days later, I got an email saying they didn't have one of the colors, but would send the other jacket. I emailed back saying I needed both jackets, or none. I asked if the color would be coming in. Got an email saying they had cancelled my order. Not what I asked for. Called, & got it straightened out when the second jacket in another color was located.”
O2 Gear Shop
O2 Gear Shop has excellent ratings on the following rating websites:
- Google gives them an overall rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- ResellerRatings.com gives O2 Gear Shop an overall rating of 9.28/10.
- Yahoo Shopping gives them an overall rating of 4.5 stars out of 5.
- Trust Pilot gives O2 Gear Shop an excellent overall rating of 5 stars out of 5.
A few customer comments from ResellerRatings.com include:
- "Recently bought a synthetic Patagonia jacket from their website and was incredibly pleased with the product as well as the price - so cheap!" – Sboerboom5
- "Love this website. I have bought north face jackets from them. They are authentic. Fast shipping !!" – Angela0123
- "Great selection at great prices! I did have to return the vest I ordered because the color wasn't as I hoped it would be but not their fault. The return process went seamlessly. I would purchase from them again!" – Savingrdc
- "Great products and best of all, great prices! My son loves his new North Face Chromium Thermal jacket. It's stylish and surprisingly warm for being so light weight. He loves it because it's not bulky like other jackets and it looks a little nicer when going out" – JoAnn47